Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Politics and Media

I won't go too far into this, but here are a few things I found amusing today... I'm taking U.S. Politics this semester, it's a 100 level course so expectations can't be super high, but I thought it would be a nice refresher course. Funny thing one: our text book said, "The worldwide network of personal computers, commonly called the Internet, can also be classified as broadcast technology." Commonly called the Internet?! As if it was a new novel idea. The book is from 2009 so I think I have the right to criticize it's choice of wording in this particular instance. Amusing instance two: A person in class did not see any reason why it would be a problem for one individual person or group to own all of the media market place. Even after a number of other students commented and made objections, this person was a firm believer in free market I suppose. After watching the screening of 'Independent Media in a Time of War', I definitely plan to try and read much more news from Indy media and media outlets from other countries as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment