Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The little town that could (or at least tried)

I just got home from voting five minutes ago. The new electronic system was boring. No booth with a curtain or cool noises as you push down the lever for your preferred candidate. It was on a scan-tron sheet and you fill in the appropriate bubble. My Mom asked, "What happens if I color outside the lines", which I thought was funny. There was little to no privacy as you filled out your ballot and we felt like we were cheating on a quiz or something, as my Mom and I looked over at each others scan-tron to compare votes (which probably is not allowed)

I live in Norwich, NY. A small town about an hour east of Ithaca and an hour south of Syracuse. This is a view of Broad Street in downtown Norwich, and a photo I took a few summers ago looking down to the town from up on the west hill stone quarry.




Something that I know is not allowed that also happened in my Town Hall voting area, I wasn't IDed!! They asked my name and address, checked me off the list and handed me the form. Granted its a small town and everyone knows everyone, but you would think there would be a little more structure/security than what I saw. I held out my drivers license and asked if they needed to see it and the women said "No thats alright" ... I laughed

I hope this new electronic system doesn't mean people can accidentally vote twice.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in election coverage that isn't from CNN/NBC/FOX tune in to ICTV channel 16 for Newswatch ;) Election center will cover live election results tonight from 8-11:30pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment